Training and Learning
We Build Capacity
The SPOR Evidence Alliance aims to create a culture of learning and innovation that grows, supports and sustains an environment for patient-oriented research with a focus on knowledge synthesis, guideline development and knowledge translation.
Using the SPOR Capacity Development Framework, our capacity-building strategy was built with consideration for the following guiding principles:
- Developing and mobilizing expertise: Building on the existing diverse set of expertise and skills of the research community to strengthen the capacity of patient-oriented research by providing opportunities for training, collaboration and mentorship in knowledge synthesis, guideline development and knowledge translation.
- Supporting careers: Creating supportive environments that include training and mentorship opportunities.
- Facilitating collaboration: Supporting a collaborative, interdisciplinary research environment and fostering integration, respect and mentorship among researchers, patient partners and health system decision-makers.
- Building a culture of knowledge-to-action research: Creating a culture for demand-driven and context-sensitive research, and enhancing capacity to translate new knowledge into practice.
We offer a range of learning opportunities including courses, workshops, webinars, web-based learning, mentorship opportunities, annual seed grants, and scientific meetings.
All training activities have been tailored to adult learning behaviours that promote an environment for self-directed learning and provide practical material relevant to their needs.
These learning opportunities are tailored to three groups of learners:
- Graduate-level trainees and fellows, to grow their skills and knowledge in advancing the science and practice of knowledge synthesis, guideline development and knowledge translation in a patient-oriented research environment.
- Researchers and research staff, to build on their diverse expertise and skills in health research and focusing on strengthening their capacity of knowledge synthesis, guideline development, and knowledge translation in a patient-oriented research setting.
- Patient partners and health system decision-makers (e.g., clinicians, healthcare managers and policy-makers), to develop basic knowledge of the science of knowledge synthesis, guideline development, and knowledge translation in a patient-oriented research environment, and how to apply research evidence into practice.
Courses and Workshops
SPOR Evidence Alliance members can participate in the following courses and workshops free-of-charge (limited seats available*):
- Introductory Course on Knowledge Synthesis for Knowledge Users (Course details)
- Foundations of KT (Course details)
- Practicing KT (Course details)
- End of Grant KT (Course details)
- KT Canada Summer Institute (Workshop details)
- See all upcoming courses here
* Seats are intended for trainees (whose supervisors are also SPOR Evidence Alliance members) but non-trainees may be admitted, space permitting.