At a Glance
The SPOR Evidence Alliance is a Canada-wide alliance of researchers, research trainees, patients, healthcare providers, policy makers and organizations who use research to inform decisions. Our alliance was established to provide national-level support in knowledge synthesis, clinical practice guidelines development, knowledge translation, and patient-oriented research. We provide evidence-based answers to clinicians, patients, and policy makers to make sure high-quality information is available to inform decisions.
The SPOR Evidence Alliance is made possible by a five-year grant from the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) under Canada’s Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR) Initiative, and the generosity of partners from 41 public agencies and organizations across Canada who have made cash or in-kind contributions.
To create a rapid-learning health system, where patients receive the right care at the right time, by supporting access to high-quality information that is timely and easy to use for decision-makers.
Over the next five years, we aim to:
- Inform health policy and practice, and improve patient care by providing timely responses to decision-maker and patient information needs
- Strengthen partnerships with organizations and individuals who use research, by meaningfully involving them in governance, priority setting, research conduct and uptake of research findings
- Improve Canada-wide collaboration and coordination of health research to avoid duplication of work
- Support new researchers and trainees by offering more collaboration, training, and mentorship opportunities in the areas of knowledge synthesis, clinical practice guidelines, knowledge translation, and patient-oriented research
- Create meaningful partnerships with national and international organizations to increase the visibility and uptake of Canadian research
- Make research more visible and easier to obtain by providing open access to all data, research findings, and knowledge tools for organizations and individuals who use research
- Support and build partnership with existing SPOR-funded initiatives, such as the SUPPORT Units and Networks
- Advance the science of knowledge synthesis, clinical practice guideline development, knowledge translation, and patient-oriented research
- Develop a plan to sustain the SPOR Evidence Alliance beyond the five-year funding period
Watch Dr. Tricco speak about the SPOR Evidence Alliance!
Read this document for an overview of the SPOR Evidence Alliance in French.